During the last couple of years a plethora of economic and development related legislation, as well as policy and strategy frameworks (initiated by all three tiers of Government) impacted on the North West Provincial Spatial Development Framework 2005 (PSDF). Moving from this premise the North West PSDF was drafted in terms of the following envisaged outcomes.
- Formulate a Provincial Spatial Development Framework that is broadly aligned with the National Spatial Development Perspective (NSDP).
- Provide a spatial interpretation of the Provincial Growth and Development Strategy to guide future land use and development;
- Set a policy for the overall spatial distribution of development which will:
Indicate desired or undesired utilisation of space in a particular area;
Identify areas where strategic intervention is required; and
- Indicate priority areas where public sector intervention is required.
- Respond to spatial implications and synergies arising from other development strategies and policies and ensure co-ordination;
- Provide a framework for planning for district and local municipalities to co-ordinate and facilitate their planning and provide
appropriate support (a framework for more detailed land use planning);
- Address environmental considerations in development planning.